donderdag 2 juli 2015
VROOOM #28 @ Worm
– JOZEF VAN WISSEM (nl/us) & DOMINGO GARCIA-HUIDOBRO (cl / Föllakzoid)
– GOH LEE KWANG / JULIEN OTTAVI / LUKAS SIMONIS (my/fr/nl)
– THE FLIPSIDE PARADOX (be/nl)
With temperatures expected to soar as high as 30+ degrees, it's going to be about choices this day. Trading the outside for an evening of otherworldly immersion, Vrooom #28 sees Dutch composer Jozef van Wissem teaming up with Domingo Garcia-Huidobro of Föllakzoid; tapping into reconstructions of paranormal experiences. Also on the program: instant composing fromThe Flipside Paradox, and the Rotterdam premiere by Malaysian/French/Dutch Freunschaft Goh / Ottavi / Simonis.
location: WORM – Boomgaardsstraat 71, Rotterdam
doors: 20:00 / start: 20:30 / curfew: tba / entrance: €6
Subbacultcha! members: free
■ JOZEF VAN WISSEM (nl/us) & DOMINGO GARCIA-HUIDOBRO (cl)
'Partir to Live' (2012) is a non-narrative film experience in sensations, ethical confusion, and in physical and psychic bruises, directed by Domingo Garcia-Huidobro of the Chilean cosmic music band FÖLLAKZOID (Sacred Bones). Jozef van Wissem’s score for the film consists of a 12-string electric guitar drone, black baroque lute mirror images, and minimal electronics. Garcia-Huidobro is an aficionado of paranormal experiences. 'Partir to Live' sees him attempting to reconstruct the previous moments of what could have been one of these episodes. High-tension cables, a forest, an abandoned church, a barefoot woman; past, present and future become confused, a dissolved reality. 'Partir to Live' premiered internationally at ATP Festival in Camber Sands UK. It has screened at over a dozen more festivals since, including the Brussels Film Festival and the Moscow International Film Festival. Sacred Bones Records released the DVD and soundtrack LP together.
■ GOH LEE KWANG / JULIEN OTTAVI / LUKAS SIMONIS (my/fr/nl)
Initiated by Goh Lee Kwang, this is the first Rotterdam performance during first European tour of this trio.
– GOH LEE KWANG (Mixer Feedback) aka GOH is an acclaimed sound & new media artist from Malaysia. Goh's works focuses on the various possibilities of both the realistic & abstract; crossing the boundaries of digital & analog, electronic & acoustic, beyond the realm of language, allowing audiences to experience the work directly, and in their own personal way.
– JULIEN OTTAVI (Percussion, electronics) A mediactivist, artist-researcher, composer / musician, poet and destroyer of tongues, experimental film maker and 'anarchitect', founder and member of Apo33; Julien Ottavi is involved in research and creative work, combining sound art, real-time video, new technologies and body performances.
– LUKAS SIMONIS (Electric Guitar, electronics) One of the Vrooom head honchos, needs no further introduction.
■ THE FLIPSIDE PARADOX (be/nl)
Instant composing from Eindhoven to Gent. Jazz, improv, visceral soundscapes, and melodies are being turned inside out in this clash between veteran musicians and new blood of the Southern Dutch and Belgian / Flemish scenes. Unpredictability is key to experiencing The Flipside Paradox. The core group consists of Bart Maris (trumpet), Niels Duffhues (guitar), Lieven van Pée (bas), Luk Sponselee (electronica) en Bert Hornikx (drums).